1.08.2009

Let's Get Back to Us Loving Us.

I'm a judgmental person as you might be able to determine, but I'm usually right. Stereotypes don't really upset me, because there's some truth to most of them. I also believe that the way one presents themselves is the way they would like to be perceived. That being said, as a reality TV junkie, I had to catch the first episode of the new season of Real World, set in Brooklyn. They had all the usual archetypical cast members: the gay guy, the redneck, the tatted up hipster, etc.
One castmate grabbed my interest, of course, because she was the only Black cast member (you know they can't have more than one or the whole place would smell like burnt hair and there would be sunflower seed shells everywhere). However, the first time they showed her onscreen, I immediately told A.: "She looks like the type to go out of her way to say she doesn't date Black men". Her look and mannerisms (I'm all for bourgie Black and speaking properly, but you can tell when somebody likes to swim in the other end of the pool) just seemed to spark my prejudice. She never confirmed this suspicion, but when castmate Scott walked in, a blond, bodybuilder type, it cut to a scene of her gushing about how amazing she thought he was. In another scene, some of the cast members are shown in a room doing various things and she was laying on the bed looking up at him like he was Jesus resurrected. I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
I once worked with a white girl who told me that her Black friend did not date Black men at all, claiming we were all "disrespectful" and some other BS. Shaka being Shaka, I told her that her friend was a disgrace and should be ashamed of herself. The white girl had a Black boyfriend, so she hit me with: "Well, my boyfriend says the same thing about not dating Black women, so you're saying he's a disgrace too?" Of course, Shaka being Shaka, I said "Yes". She didn't talk to me for like a month.
Given the irreparable damage done to the Black community for over 400 years in this country both by ourselves (can't point fingers with dirty hands) and American media and pop culture, there is an epidemic among Black people that causes some of us to have a poor self-image. I have no problem with people choosing to date whites, I do take issue with those who can't acknowledge the beauty of their own people and culture. To exclude members of the opposite sex as far as datign and relationships is to exclude your own ancestors, relatives, and parents. I was raised surrounded by beautiful, strong Black women, which is why I can't consider anything but.
I salute any Black couple who are in a functional relationship. It can be difficult dependent upon the circumstance, but there is nothing like seeing yourself in your significant other. Chuuurch!

3 comments:

  1. Yea so I finally watched the first episode and she is super lame. I forgot her name the poor little black girl. First of all she comes from KC, MO and I'm sure there is some type of ghetto salon called LaTonya's or something similar that could have done her hair right- it was madd stiff and lame- she was super lame btw. I mean her boobs looked fake too. I have real pair of door knockers and they don't float like that nor do I show them off like that. The army is a silent bomb waiting to explode. The transgender guy/girl is odd and I was disappointed that the other guys didn't peep game. I mean my dad is an foreigner and he can spot stuff like that off top (but he has lived in the san fran area for years too- so maybe that don't count). Also, the utah guy is gay and doesn't know it yet- or wont come out because of his religion- the other ppl I'm not too sure about yet- but this season looks super lame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooow you are harsh! LOL @ the doorknockers comment. I don't want to judge the girl off top too harshly. She may very well go for Black men as well, but the fact that she was attracted to the most Nordic, Aryan-youth-camp lookin' dude in the house was suspect. The only people on the show that seemed cool was the Latino cat and the girl from Cali (who looks like she would be from Cali without question). The previews of the season to come looked as if they spliced together a bunch of stuff so that it looked more dramatic than what it was. To watch or not to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well sure enough, the bitch has not one but two white boys. I am convinced at this point that she does not herself realize that she is Black. I mean did anyone notice that she does not wrap up her raggedy assed weave when she showers or when she sleeps. Sometimes, I want to kidnap certain Black people and drop their asses off in Compton or somewhere just to give them a dose fo reality.

    ReplyDelete