12.24.2008

American Gangster: Wilford Brimley

Remember those commercials for Quaker Oats where Wilford Brimley would tell viewers "it's the right thing to do and the tasty way to do it"? I always thought he sounded a little too terse for a commercial about breakfast. Didn't you just wake up? What could have happened to make him so crotchety that early?
Topping that, he came back to promote Liberty Medical, a company that sells testing supplies for diabetes. He advises (or rather commands...I don't even have it, but was pretty close to ordering some supplies purely based on intimidation) viewers with diabetes to "check your blood sugar and check it often". He also single-handedly in the same commercials changed the pronunciation of diabetes from "die-a-bee-teez" to "die-uh-bee-tuss". If Liberty is a company that specializes in diabetes testing, don't you think someone on the set would be learned enough to have tried to correct Brimley in that pronunciation? My guess is that someone tried and was swiftly smacked across the mouth. And the most gangster part of it all is that the commercial still ran and is still on the air, regardless of the mispronunciation. Priceless...

5 comments:

  1. You gotta be gangsta if yo name is Wilford. I must have seen that commercial a thousand times but never really paid much attention to how crazy he hits "Dia bee tuss" until Amber pointed it out to me one day. And for more hilarity you gotta check out this clip somebody put together on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bClVk-FPvrw&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoooo...I watched that video and I'm so impressed at the time people have on their hands (like I should talk)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Kenny...Am had me watching that clip from "Who Made the Potato Salad?" That thing had me dyyyyying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL "Why Nigga?" " Do you roll up N Rocscoe and ask who's grilling the Muthafuckin waffles?" "Huh?! so why does it matter who made the damn potato salad!!" Dysfunction at it's best! Speaking of dysfunctional family have you seen "Brutha to Brutha" I can't get Amber to watch it. Too ghetto for her. Last week they sat down for a nice family game and wind up having to be seperated. They are the most drankingnes, kussin - table flipping family I've evah seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I saw Brutha 2 Brutha...emotional ass lil boys...

    ReplyDelete