12.08.2008

Finer Things: Trader Joe's Vintage Ale


Anybody that knows me knows that I am a beer lover. Not just any beer, though. Pass me a Bud Light in a can and you just might have a fist-fight on your hands or at least a stern talking-to. I'd rather drink human blood than put a canned beer to my lips, let alone light beer in a can. So I tend to look for something of a higher quality.
My fiancee, Amber, brought home Trader Joe's Vintage Ale a few weeks ago and I was anxious to try it out. I wasn't disappointed at all. The first swig I took straight out of the bottle like the barbarian I am and noticed that this is a beer that sticks to one's ribs. I then poured it into a glass and once I had filled it, noticed an almost two-inch head of foam at the top of the glass with a little bit of dark, dark brown ale visible at the bottom. The consistency is like a mix between champagne and Guinness with hints of brown sugar and molasses.

This is definitely a beer for the winter. It's got a woodsy taste to it that makes you want to take a few bottles to a cabin somewhere and just drink the day away. I'd like to see what this beer tastes like after a few years in a cellar. This is a beer that gets better with time, hence the name Vintage Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment