12.07.2008

Believe the Hype: House of Saddam


I would never do you wrong.

House of Saddam came on HBO this Sunday while I was in the process of shaving and my hands were occupied (I use one of those old-timey straight edge razors like in Color Purple) so I didn't have the ability to change the channel at that moment. I wasn't planning to watch it, but was drawn in eventually. The series focuses on (obviously) the rise to power of Saddam Hussein and the effects that this had on his family, followers, and country. I know that this doesn't sound like the most entertaining series ever based on that description, but you would have to see it to believe it. This series was so beautifully shot and created with so much attention to detail that it warrants a serious, devoted watch: no bathroom breaks, no computer, etc. That's how I was rollin'.

"You think violence is a pasttime!?! It is a tool!!!"

This is a quote from a poignant scene where Saddam is addressing his son, Uday Hussein. Uday had just recovered from an overdose of pills, a suicide attempt triggered by fear of his father's retribution for his murder of Saddam's trusted servant. Saddam throws his son in jail for his recklessness and contemplates killing him for it.

This show reminds you that behind every feared tyrant is a human being, a family, and in Saddam Hussein's case, a devotion to honor that is difficult for Western minds to understand. I saw the footage of Saddam Hussein being hanged and was disgusted more than anything else, but I must say that all I knew about him was what the Western media let me know, which is common of most Americans, unfortunately. Once you get past the brilliant casting (nothing but brown faces onscreen is a beautiful thing), the great wardrobing, and the amazing cinematography, you realize there is a story to be told that has never and probably will never be told again from that angle. Like I always say, get familiar! It'll be On Demand tomorrow and the next part of the series is next Sunday. Let me know what you think!!!

4 comments:

  1. Shaka,
    I am real glad you brought this show to my attention. These kinds of programs are right up my alley. Imma check it out tonight on ON Demand. I just finished a documentary about Pablo Escobar ("The King of Coke" availabe on Netflix) which I really enjoyed. He too terrorized his community right up until his death. Another documentary that I watched (uh hmm during my lunch hour) that takes place in Iraq called "Taxi to the Dark Side" (available on instant watch ) about the Bush's administration policy on torture. I dont want to give too much more of it away. But that was a good one too. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting choice for a lunchtime movie, Kenny! One of the craziest documentaries I have seen is "Cocaine Cowboys" about coke-runners in Miami...wild as all outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay! Just finished watching "Cocaine Cowboys" today. Wild as all outdoors is no exaggeration but it held my attention from beginning to end. Get how you live. They all got their just desserts in the end. Good recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaka:

    I'm so going to have to get involved in this show.

    ReplyDelete